Thursday, February 28, 2013

Food Sensitivity and A Brand New Diet

Wow- the past couple days have been informative, satisfying, and frustrating all rolled into one. 2 weeks ago I had my blood drawn for the ALCAT test. The ALCAT is a pretty special test because it doesn't test for food allergies, it identifies food sensitivities. Up to 200 of them to be exact, plus chemicals, molds, food additives and herbs. It's almost too good to be true. I was tested for 150 foods and 20 food additives. Still pretty comprehensive yet more affordable than the more extensive tests. Did I mention it's usually not covered under insurance and costs a pretty penny? I've been looking forward to having this test done for months and was so excited to finally get the results. It turns out... I'm "severely intolerant" to chicken. CHICKEN. I didn't even know that was possible! It also confirmed my suspicion that I was gluten intolerant, and listed about 20 other foods I should eat sparingly. Most of which are included in my regular daily diet. Great.
Although receiving this information was a huge leap forward in my journey to feeling better, it caused even more frustration for me. Let's tally it up- Fructose Malabsorption, Gluten Intolerance, Lactose Intolerance, and chicken sensitivity. Luckily the ALCAT provides a long list of acceptable foods to eat, but sadly for me a lot of them are high in FODMAPs. Crap. My solution? I'm seeing a Dietician next week and leaving it up to her to tell me what to eat. My brain is fried from thinking so much about this. Second solution? WINE. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment